LFA 109: McKinney vs Irizarry set for June 4
- Friday 06.04.2021 at 09:00 PM ET
- U.S. Broadcast: UFC Fight Pass
- Promotion: Legacy Fighting Alliance
- Tapology Accounts: Bevois
- Venue: Grand Hotel Casino & Resort
- Location: Shawnee, Oklahoma, United States
- Enclosure: Cage
- Ring Announcer: Mike Kendall
- MMA Bouts: 8
LAS VEGAS, Nevada — LFA CEO Ed Soares announced today that the promotion will return to Oklahoma in June. LFA 109 will feature an explosive lightweight showdown when the promotion returns to the Sooner State. This will be the seventh event the promotion has hosted in the OKC area in 2021.
LFA 109: McKinney vs. Irizarry takes place Friday, June 4th at the Grand Event Center in Shawnee, Oklahoma, which is an exurb of Oklahoma City. The main event will feature a lightweight showdown between dynamic finisher Terrance “T.Wrecks” McKinney and top Puerto Rican prospect Michael Irizarry. The entire main card will be available worldwide on UFC FIGHT PASS® at 9 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. PT.
LFA 109 Results: Terrance McKinney scores his third first round finish in a row
The Grand Casino Hotel & Resort in Shawnee, Okla. hosted LFA 109 on Friday evening. The event was headlined by a 160-pound catchweight bout between Terrance McKinney and Michael Irizarry.
Both headliners came in on two-fight winning streaks, but it would be McKinney extending his run to three in an emphatic fashion.
Coming off of a 17-second knockout in his previous bout at LFA 106, McKinney, a Dana White’s Contender Series veteran, came out of the gates lightning-fast looking for another quick finish.
Just over a minute into the first round, heavy ground and pound punches found their mark to knock out Irizarry, giving McKinney the performance he hoped for in the main event slot.
“I was a little bit too excited,” McKinney said. “I know what I’m capable of and I know I can get the job done, and I’m glad I got it done.”
Scoring his third first-round finish in a row on the main event of an LFA card on UFC Fight Pass could help McKinney earn another shot at entering the UFC. “I’m gonna wait, and I know that call is gonna come,” McKinney said.
Check out the full results of LFA 109’s main card below:
- Terrance McKinney def. Michael Irizarry KO (Punches) – Round 1, 1:12
- Justin Wetzell def. Askar Askar via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 2:21
- Edwin Cooper Jr. def. Robson Junior via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 1:31
- Ky Bennett def. Gerrica Trias via unanimous decision (30-26, 29-28, 30-27)
- Jacobi Jones def. Caleb Hall via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-26, 30-27)
- Kevin Fernandez def. Manuel Medina via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
McKinney (9-3) returns to the LFA Octagon just five weeks after scoring the biggest win of his career. That win came against Brazilian knockout artist Luis “Toninho Marajo” Gavinho in the co-main event of LFA 106. What made the win so impressive was the way McKinney was able to knockout a man known for fast finishes in just 17 seconds. The highly-touted prospect known as “T.Wrecks” launched a head kick at the Brazilian veteran that brought an abrupt end to their encounter. The highlight reel knockout has since gone viral and the 26-year-old from Spokane, Washington skyrocketed up the lightweight standings. McKinney now returns to the same venue where he accomplished that incredible win to headline his first event for the promotion at LFA 109.
Irizarry (12-3) will be making his highly-anticipated LFA debut, while also proudly representing the island of Puerto Rico as the first Puerto Rican born fighter to fight for the promotion. The 25-year-old native of “Isla del Encanto” grew up in the town of Añasco on the west coast of the island, hoping to one day continue the proud Boricua fighting tradition. While the UFC has seen the emergence of stars such as Anthony Pettis, Rob Font, and Jimmie Rivera who all have Puerto Rican heritage, the island is still mostly known for its boxing greats Wilfredo Gomez, Felix Trinidad, and Miguel Cotto who grew up on the island. Irizarry hopes to change that by giving Puerto Rico its first native born star in MMA. That goal now has a clear path as he will be headlining LFA 109.
Currently Announced Main Card (Available worldwide on UFC FIGHT PASS®):
Main Event | Lightweight Bout (155 lb)
- Terrance McKinney (9-3) vs. Michael Irizarry (12-3)
Co-Main Event | Bantamweight Bout (135 lb)
- Askar Askar (11-1) vs. Justin Wetzell (6-1)
Featherweight Bout (145 lb)
- Edwin Cooper (3-1) vs. Robson Junior (3-0)
Women’s Flyweight Bout (125 lb)
- Gerrica Trias (1-0) vs. Ky Bennett (1-2)
Flyweight Bout (125 lb)
- Manuel Medina (1-1) vs. Kevin Fernandez (0-0)
Welterweight Bout (170 lb)
- Haris Talundzic (2-0) vs. Gabriel Gideon (0-0)
Heavyweight Bout (265 lb)
- Ingrid Sewa (0-0) vs. Luis Schwenke (0-0)